Maybe you love 'em, maybe you're eh. But do you know what defines boutique hotels?
The defining characteristic of boutique hotels: they top out at 100 rooms or so.
So if you're thinking that boutique hotels are more personal, I couldn't agree more. Here's what lux travelers love about this hotel genre, and some of my favorites:
- Service might even be one-on-one, like the butler program at Thailand's Phulay Bay, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
- Their small size enhances privacy, like Mexico's 41-villa Viceroy Riviera Maya
- A boutique hotel may be the cool younger sibling of an established hotel brand, like NYC's Hyatt 48 Lex
- Their attitude is modern & their clientele happening, like Thompson Toronto
- Their bespoke décor reflects their surroundings, like Santa Fe's Rosewood Inn of the Anasazi
See if your fave small hotel made our picky list of exemplary boutique hotels >>Photos from top: Villa ©Phulay Bay Ritz Carlton; Penthouse lounge ©Thompson Toronto; Balcony room ©Inn of the Anasazi, Santa Fe; Soap concierge, Viceroy Riviera Maya ©Karen Tina Harrison.