Are Private Jet Pilots & Crews More Experienced?
In a way, yes. Explains Tivnan, "Private jet pilots and crews are attached to specific aircraft. It's their place of work. They know everything about that jet." Private pilots are subject to the same professional standards as commercial pilots.
Are Private Jets Safer?
"Private jets are at least as safe as commercial planes," says Tivnan, "and often more."
- Private planes held to the same air safety and maintenance regulations as commercial jets
- And private jet companies often opt to observe even higher maintenance standards
- Private jet fleets are typically younger than commercial
- In terms of passenger security, you you know who and what is aboard your jet
Baggage Restrictions on Private Planes
"There are no baggage restrictions on private planes," says Magellan Jets' Anthony Tivnan.
- "The only baggage limit is that it has to fit onboard. With smaller aircraft such as Citations, this may be a factor
- If the runway is short, very heavy items such as movie equipment or golf clubs may present a weight issue
- Liquids are OK, all you want, from Champagne to perfume
- Firearms are OK. You must unload them and give them to your flight attendant to stow in the hold
- Pets are fine if flying domestically. If not, the destination country's policies apply to pets jetting in on private aircraft
- As with all aspects of private flight planning, ask in advance
International Customs Procedures for Private Jets
"Customs are definitely streamlined on international private plane flight," says Tivnan. "There are no lines and no red tape. Often, customs and security are over before you know they have taken place.
- Passports will be collected or looked at but may or may not be stamped. "If you want or need your passport to be stamped in, make that request," says Tivnan
- Your Luxury Travel Guide adds: it is a good idea to get your passport stamped to prove that you are, or were, legally in that country
- When you fly internationally to a private airport, you must declare alcohol and so on with customs. The customs agent decides whether or not you pay the usual duties on what you bring in
Flight Plans on Private Jets
Flight plans on private jets are highly customizable, within air-traffic limitations," says Magellan Jets' Anthony Tivnan. "Working in advance with your flight coordinator, you can arrange your ideal flight plan. You can make one stop or hit several on your route."
"You can stop nearly anywhere, for anything, from a few hours to as long as you need," he says. "Your company consultant will let you know when it stops making snse in toerms of time cost.
- You can stop where you have to for a meeting, event, shopping, dinner, a concert, a game
- Your ground transportation will typically be prearranged, too
- You can stop for passenger pickup
- You can request a great flyover view such as the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Chicago, or Manhattan
Flight Crews on Private Jets
"The crew is attached to the jet you get,” says Tivnan. "It will have a pilot, co-pilot, and at least one flight attendant. Passengers may request additional crew or special personnel such as a masseur, secretary, mixologist, etc."
Catering, Dining & Drinking on Private Jets
"Inflight dining is the client's call," says Tivnan. "For many passengers, it's something they really have fun with."/p>
Magellan Jets, and other charter companies, send passengers extensive menus in advance. Choices include sushi, steak, gourmet pizza and burgers, lox and bagels, fresh seafood, salads, pasta, you name it. Preferences such as vegetarian or organic menus are accommodated.
Flights can also be catered by restaurants within driving range of your departure airport. Cooking facilities on planes may be limited to reheating, so dishes that travel well are usually best.
Magellan jets, and others, contain a full bar, snacks, and soft drinks. "The bigger the jet, the bigger the bar," says Tivnan. And of course many passengers bring their favorite Scotch or wine.
Inflight Entertainment on Private Jets
Inflight entertainment is pre-ordered as well," said Tivnan. "Your jet company will have a movie database, and yuou jet is likely to have a good-size screen.
"You can make special requests for music, games, live entertainment, poker decks, whatever. Tell your provider what you have in mind."
Work Facilities on Private Jets
Today's private jets can function as airborne executive suites," says Tivnan. "You can anticipate a satellite flight phone, and fax. Wifi is now standard, but clients should double-check."
Can I Use My Mobile Phone Aboard a Private Jet?
Certainly, if you get a signal. And you should be able to as long as you're not over the middle of an ocean.
What Does Private Jet Flight Cost?
"There are various types of plans for private jet use," says Tivnan. "Some jets are fractionally owned by a number of clients. But the trend in private jet plans is what Magellan does, "on-demand" charter use, typically by the hour. You don't pay for time you don’t use or if you change your pans in advance." Jet fuel is included in the rate.
All the same, private jet travel is not cheap. But "it often works out to less than flying commercial first-class," says Tivnan. "And private jets' convenience, comfort, and privacy are in a class by themselves.
"Private jet passengers fly where they want, when you want, along with their families, friends, and pets. And they fly with so much more freedom, convenience, and comfort."