Meet India Hicks
Life has taken surprising turns for India Hicks. She first became famous as Princess Diana's 13-year-old bridesmaid.
The tall, aristocratic English beauty became a fashion model based in New York, and was "the face" of Ralph Lauren. She spent her late teens and twenties jetting to photo shoots and personal appearances all over the world.
India Hicks' Island Life
In 1995, India re-met a childhood acquaintance who had become a hotel manager in the Bahamas. Flash forward: India and David have five children, a menagerie of pets, and a beautiful house called Hibiscus Hill on tiny Harbour Island in the Bahamas (with exclusive vacation villas).
India Hicks' Designing Life
Today India is a designer and muse for Crabtree & Evelyn. She is responsible for two ongoing collections for body and home, India Hicks Island Living and India Hicks Island Night. She is also the creator of Crabtree & Evelyn's popular fragrance, India Hicks Spider Lily.
India travels frequently from Harbour Island to New York, London, Singapore, and elsewhere around the globe.
Here, India Hicks' guide to travel beauty and comfort for the frequent traveler.
In Her Words: How India Stays Comfortable on Long Flights
- As I live and work in different countries, I spend a lot of time traveling. I try to make the experience as relaxing as possible
- I fly a lot and am usually seated in economy. I've made my peace with it. I try to make the best of my flight. Overall, I look for the good, not the bad
- I try to pretend I am in first class!
- I always ask for a window seat. I find it very soothing to look out at the view, whether ocean or land
"We know some facts about how flying affects us."
- Passengers are supposed to drink lots of water
- And get up, walk about, and get our blood circulating
- And stay clear of salty foods and excessive alcohol
- And to set our watches to the destination time zone, to try to fool our bodies
"But I am rarely able to adhere to these!"
- I do try to keep myself hydrated. This really helps
- If I'm sleepy, I welcome the chance to catch up
- When I don't have the kids with me, I sometimes take Nytol Herbal. It's a safe, botanical way to fall asleep naturally. You can get in the U.K. and online
"If I can't sleep, I keep busy."
- I enjoy an inflight movie
- I read an absorbing book
"Or I work on my laptop, which is with me onboard."
- With so much going on at home, it's hard for me to find the time to concentrate on business email. So having a chunk of hours when I fly can really be productive
- I work through my email inbox with wifi when it's available onboard. When I arrive at my destination I will have caught up on some work, which feels good
India's Inflight Beauty Essentials Kit
"I fly with a few key items that make me more comfortable onboard and fresh-looking when I land. Lip balm is all-important. I use Crabtree & Evelyn's. They make a variety."
- Crabtree & Evelyn Lip Tint is very glossy and moisturizing
- My favorite is Tea Lip Tint. It has a lovely fragrance, aloe and shea butter, and a very subtle hue. Shop now >>
- Crabtree & Evelyn Lip Butter is creamy. Lip Tint and Lip Butter both come in a squeeze tube
- Crabtree & Evelyn Balm in a swivel tube is not considered a liquid, so you don't have to separate it with your liquids. This comes in aloe, jojoba, or Gardeners, which contains SPF 15
"I carry M.A.C Demi Wipes".
- It's an instant moisturizer that refreshes skin
- It also removes makeup mistakes as you're putting on your face before landing
- It comes in 30 pre-moistened towelettes and is not considered a liquid
- Shop now >>
"I always carry some red-reducing eye drops so upon arrival I don't look too painfully jet-lagged."
Why India Designed the Getaway Bag
"It's upsetting to have your oversized beauty products kidnapped by security officers at the airport. This is the motivation for my designing the India Hicks Island Living Getaway Bag. You can carry it onto the plane without someone in uniform stopping you!"
- The Getaway Bag is a small, natural-weave, zippered pouch with three essential items in airline-approved carry-on sizes. They are Spider Lily potions: Body Cream, Shower Gel, and Eau de Toilette. Shop now >>
- I designed the Spider Lily fragrance and am proud that it has won many awards. But what I love is that when you wear it you are transported to a tropical island, with the soft scent of Bahamian spider lilies, orange blossom, green palm fronds and sea air. Shop now >>
India's Top Beauty Trick on Long Flights
"Inflight air has less humidity than the world's driest desert! Now, everyone is different, but my skin suffers terribly from the drying effects of the plane."
- So before boarding a long-haul flight, I moisturize my whole body with my hydrating body butter, India Hicks Island Living Body Cream
- It is full of mango and avocado oil and other good things your skin laps up
- Shop now >>
India's Suitcase Beauty Kit
"I take a few beauty items everywhere, besides the Crabtree & Evelyn designs you've just read about. These are packed in my suitcase if I've checked bags, or they're up in the luggage bin if I'm flying carryon."
- Dr. Hauschka tinted daily moisturizer; it is only slightly tinted but leaves a lovely gentle sheen. Shop now >>
- My Mason and Pearson hairbrush. Tying my hair back into a ponytail after a good, scalp-tingling brush-through always rejuvenates me
- The story: I inherited my sister's tiny pink Mason and Pearson hair brush when I was about four years old. My mother would not indulge me in a new one. The perils of being a younger sibling! Shop now >>
India's Secret to Balancing Work, Life, and Family
"With five kids, a partner, a busy career, and a menagerie of pets, I have to prioritize!"
- I don't indulge in too much of a social life. Nowadays I prefer being at home tucking my children into bed to attending a social dinner
- Also, the evening hours in the home office can be so productive. No phones ringing, no interruptions, and no dogs needing to be walked
- It's so important to keep your body and soul in shape! I try to exercise five days a week
- I strive to remain organized. It's a natural for me, born under the Virgo sign. Virgos are energetic and love routine. We even organize piles of paper clips!
- This is a big one. Do not be ashamed to ask for help. To tackle a home project, to move the couch, to have someone else cook the kids dinner if you're stuck
Where to Find Out More About India Hicks & Her Harbour Island Lifestyle
- Check out India's fashion and lifestyle website, indiahicks.com
- Read her blog
- Look at India's photos on Pinterest
- Find out more about India's life in the Bahamas
- Read India's insider guide to her Bahamas home, Harbour Island
- Find out about renting a cottage on India's Harbour Island property, Hibiscus Hill
- See India's Bahamas-inspired beauty and lifestyle products, Crabtree & Evelyn Island Night and Island Living
- See what a sleep doctor says about getting your zzzzs & beating jetlag