Philadelphia is Richly Historic
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is a must-visit for any well-traveled American…or anyone who wants to experience the United States in full.
Philadelphia is the birthplace of the U.S. Its independence from Britain was plotted and declared here, and pealed by the Liberty Bell. Soon after, the U.S. Constitution was drafted and signed here. Philadelphia is a reliquary of American history.
And this storied metropolis has proudly preserved its vast cobblestoned colonial neighborhood, Society Hill, replete with 18th-century townhouses, churches, and taverns. To visit Philadelphia is to be transported back in time to the 1700s and early 1800s.
Yet Philadelphia is Creative and Contemporary
Today, historic Philadelphia is a progressive, exciting, artistic city. It boasts world-class museums, superlative restaurants, and vibrant live music and shopping scenes.
Reasons to Visit Philadelphia, America's Cradle
- Philadelphia is easy to get to by air (it's a US Airways hub), by Amtrak/Acela, or by car. And Philly, designed as a grid, is super-easy to get around in
- Philadelphia is beautiful, with enchanting vintage neighborhoods, striking architecture, lovely parks, and public art
- Philadelphia's welcoming hotels run the gamut: luxury brands like Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, and Park Hyatt; four-star beauties like Loews Philadelphia Hotel and Omni, and charming small hotels like The Inn at Penn, amidst the University of Pennsylvania's Ivy League campus
- Philadelphia is culturally enticing, with world-class museums like the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Barnes Foundation, and world-class music institutions like the Philadelphia Orchestra and Curtis Institute
- Philadelphia restaurants are currently among the most dynamic and innovative in the world. The city is home to celebrity chefs like José Garces (of Chifa, Tinto, Amada, Distrito, more); Morimoto; Marc Vetri (Vetri, Osteria, Amis, others); Michael Solomonov of Zahav, Federal Donuts, and more); and dining impresarios like Stephen Starr
- Philadelphia's pro sports: Philly is one of 12 American cities to possess all four big-league teams: the Eagles (NFL) the Phillies (MLB), the 76ers (NBA), and the Flyers (NHL). What's more, Philly has the major league soccer's Philadelphia Union plus Parx Racetrack, home of Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner Smarty Jones
Start plotting your Philadelphia getaway on the Visit Philly website >>