What to Expect at Eagle Island, Georgia
Eagle Island is a 10-acre private island lodge and nature retreat accessible only by boat. Eagle Island hosts nesting bald eagles that thrill birdwatchers and numerous species of fish that tempt fishermen.
There is one structure on Eagle Island, Eagle Lodge. This rambling, airy home is over 3,000 square feet and sleeps up to 12 comfortably. Eagle Lodge can be rented year-round for stays of one night through one month.
Sea Monster: By Popular Demand!
• Find out about Eagle Island's sea monster, Altamahaha, and see a picture here!
Eagle Lodge was built by hand of gleaming local wood. The lodge is three floors, the main floor being the second floor, up a set of stairs on either side.
What Is Eagle Island Like?
Eagle Island's look is rustic deluxe, with wraparound decks, leather couches and chairs, wall-to-wall windows, and a huge wood-burning brick fireplace. Eagle Island's views are of all cypress trees, the Darien River, and the Intracoastal, a natural Georgia waterway.
Eagle Lodge is a year-round destination, with a four-season climate: green springs, hot, humid summers, crisp falls and mild winters. The lodge is air-conditioned and heated, and the fireplace becomes a cool-weather focal point.
Eagle Island is owned and managed hands-on by "Captain" Andy Hill, a native Georgian who took early retirement from owning Wendy’s franchises. Captain Andy greets guests on the mainland and ferries them to Eagle Island, and he is readily available for any guest needs.
Smoking is permitted on Eagle Island. Pets are welcome, and no clashes have been reported between companion animals and the rarely-seen crocodiles who live in the island's pond. ("The crocs don't bother you if you don't bother them," says Captain Andy.)
Eagle Island is professionally sprayed for mosquitoes and gnats. They are still known to bite, but the usual bug spray will protect you.
Who Goes to Eagle Island, Georgia
A variety of luxury travelers are drawn to Eagle Island. They include:
• Couples (including honeymoon duos) seeking a secluded getaway amidst nature
• Families (and pairs of families) seeking an alternative to commercial resorts
• Intimate groups such as family reunions
• Girlfriends' getaways
• Guys seeking a Georgia fishing trip
Location of Eagle Island off Geirgia & How to Get There
Eagle Island is set on southern Georgia's Atlantic coast, in the Barrier Islands, with a distinctive Georgia salt marsh ecosystem. Captain Andy picks up passengers at the town dock in Darien, Georgia, and brings them by boat to Eagle Island.
Driving distances to Darien, Georgia and Eagle Island:
• An hour and 15 minutes north of Jacksonville, Florida
• An hour south of Savannah, Georgi
• Three hours north of Orlando, Florida
• Five hours south of Atlanta, GA
Airports near Eagle Island:
• Savannah International Airport, an hour and 15 minutes' drive
• Jacksonville International Airport, an hour and 15 minutes' drive
• Brunswick Golden Isles Airport, 20 minutes' drive (all (flights fly to or from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport)