Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa:
Adults-Only, Caribbean All-Inclusive
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a relaxed beach resort on St. Maarten in the Caribbean. It is adults-only and all-inclusive. With great food choices, a small casino, and a fun beach scene, there's a lot to like at this resort.
Sonesta Great Bay is not a super-deluxe five-star hotel. It is four-star, with nice but not over-the-top rooms and a compact property. I found the resort’s service and food to be excellent. The resort is promotionally minded, offering a variety of discounts and packages.
The Big Picture: Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort’s Setting Is Tops
This resort boasts one of the most beautiful beach vistas I’ve ever seen.The sand is sparkling ivory, and the crystal-clear water shades from turquoise to sapphire. The resort perches in a bay, with an open view of the harbor and the mountains in the distance. The panorama is mesmerizing, and the sunrises and sunsets are magnificent.
Sonesta Great Bay’s “Limitless All-Inclusive” Pricing
This hotel’s all-inclusive rates give guests everything they expect from this plan. (Find out more about all-inclusive pricing)
• Included: all meals and snacks, liquor (including top-shelf), wifi, basic watersports, snorkeling equipment, activities and entertainment, beach loungers and service, tips, taxes
• Not included: room service and booze in room (except in Oceanview Rooms and Butler Suites), airport transfers, motorized equipment like jetskis
Another perk: Great Bay guests have dining and all other privileges at sister resort Sonesta Maho Beach. This property is in St. Maarten’s Maho Village, with a big casino, nightclub, and shopping.
As one couple who’s been coming to Great Bay for almost a decade told me, “It gets better each year.”
Will You Like Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort?
This may be your ideal Caribbean getaway if:
• You just want to chill out on a beautiful Caribbean beach
• You want a nonstop flight to your destination (St. Maarten is reachable direct from several US gateways)
• You like adults-only resorts
• You like uncomplicated, all-inclusive pricing
• You will like walking on the beach to neighboring towns
• You like modern guest rooms with amenities like a big-screen TV, coffeemaker, free wifi
• As a diner, you'll appreciate a choice between easy buffets and full menus
• You could get into classic resort entertainment like beach volleyball, bingo, karaoke
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort may not be your favorite if:
• You’re opposed on principle to all-inclusives
• You’re looking for a glamorous five-star resort
• You like big resorts with a huge variety of dining and entertainment
• You enjoy strolling around a vast property
• You want a golf course on-site
• You like lots of nightlife on and off the premises
• You need a place to bring the kids
• You prefer traditional Caribbean plantation-house style to a modern look
Who Is Sonesta?
The Sonesta Collection is an independent American hospitality company that runs nearly five dozen hotels and resorts in the U.S., Caribbean, and South America. Sonesta was founded in 1943 and is based in Newton, Massachusetts.
• Sonesta's free-to-join Travel Pass loyalty program