A Quick Look at Viceroy Santa Monica
Viceroy Santa Monica is a design-centric. private-feeling hotel in L.A. It is set a block from the Pacific Ocean beach (but not on the beach) in the upscale surfside community of Santa Monica.
Viceroy Santa Monica attracts a hip, stylish crowd, some of whom work in the entertainment industry. A relaxed, lounge-y vibe is furnished by hotel's Cameo Bar and cabana-lined pool. And Viceroy Santa Monica's excellent indoor-outdoor restaurant, Whist, invites lingering.
Viceroy Santa Monica belongs to the growing, LA-based Viceroy Hotel Group. This hotel management company operates finely designed properties in the US, Mexico, the Caribbean, and in exotic ports of call like Abu Dhabi and the Maldives.
Viceroy Santa Monica opened in 2002 and was beautifully designed by Kelly Wearstler. Its elegant yet light-hearted style seamlessly combines elements of Art Deco and glmaorous "Hollywood Regency." The pool area is done in pure Silver Screen style, with nostalgic black and white cabanas.
The hotel is very comfortable, with plush lounge chair in the lobby and in all rooms. Viceroy Santa Monica is also quite eco-conscious, and filled with sunlight and natural materials.
Will You Like Staying at Viceroy Santa Monica?
The answer is probably yes if:
- You have high standards of design
- Or you're an admirer of Kelly Wearstler's style
- You like a sociable hotel with a young vibe and lounge areas
- You'll take advantage of a good restaurant right in the hotel
- You want to be a short walk from the ocean
- You want to stay in a low-key residential neighborhood in LA
- You like Santa Monica and want to be amidst its pedestrian culture and Farmers' Market
- You'd like to be relatively close to LAX, but still in a vibrant part of L.A
- You'd enjoy working outdoors on the hotel's quiet, shaded patio
The answer is probably no if:
- You prefer traditional design
- You need lots of closet space
- You need to be closer to downtown LA, Beverly Hills, or West Hollywood
- You don't want to stay near the beach, but on
- You're traveling with kids